Key Points
- The team have turned down Crystal Palace’s offer to buy midfielder Lamine Camara, with the figures ranging from £35 million to €50 million.
- However, Monaco is waiting for close to €60 million (£51 million), and they see no need to put pressure on themselves to sell as Camara has until 2029 to go.
- Both Liverpool and Manchester United are following the situation very closely, and there is also speculation that Nottingham Forest is interested in signing Camara.
- Monaco’s manager, Filipe Luis, has revealed that he would love Camara to remain at the club because he is “one of the best midfielders in the world.”
- The midfielder gave a very good performance in Monaco’s 3-2 victory over Liverpool in pre-season at Anfield with a 91% pass rate and defensive actions included in his contribution to the game.
- This season, Crystal Palace have signed four players under new boss, Pierre Sage, before playing their first-ever Premier League game against Everton.
Liverpool Sports (Liverpool standard) August 13, 2026 – Crystal Palace have had a bid for AS Monaco midfielder Lamine Camara rejected, with the Ligue 1 club demanding a significantly higher fee before considering a sale, according to multiple reports. The Senegal international, 22, was the subject of an offer that has been reported at more than £35m by the BBC, while French outlets Nice Matin and Foot Mercato put Palace’s proposal at €50m. Monaco have turned down that approach and are seeking at least €60m (£51m) to part with one of their most valued assets, as reported by Goal, Tribal Football and CaughtOffside.
- Key Points
- Who is Lamine Camara and why are Premier League clubs interested?
- What have Monaco and their manager said about Camara’s future?
- How does Crystal Palace fit into the picture?
- What are Liverpool and Manchester United doing?
- What is the latest on the transfer fee and timeline?
- Background: how did this development arise?
- Prediction: how could this affect Liverpool, Crystal Palace and other interested clubs?
Who is Lamine Camara and why are Premier League clubs interested?
Lamine Camara is a 22-year-old Senegal international midfielder who joined Monaco from Metz in 2024 for a reported 15m euros (£12.8m), having previously progressed through prestigious youth academies in Senegal. He has already made 49 appearances for his country and featured at this summer’s World Cup, underlining his experience at international level. In club football, Camara has developed into a dynamic box-to-box operator capable of anchoring play, breaking up opposition attacks and contributing in possession, attributes that have attracted attention from several Premier League sides.
Foot Mercato reported earlier in the summer that Liverpool and Chelsea were leading the race for Camara, while other outlets have since added Manchester United and Nottingham Forest to the list of clubs monitoring his situation. Liverpool supporters got a close-up view during Monaco’s 3-2 pre-season victory at uk/local/anfield/">Anfield, where Camara recorded a 91% passing success rate and five defensive contributions, according to Rousing the Kop. That performance has intensified speculation that Liverpool could move if Crystal Palace do not meet Monaco’s valuation or if the Reds decide to accelerate their interest.
What have Monaco and their manager said about Camara’s future?
Monaco’s stance has been consistent: they are willing to listen but will not sell below their price. As reported by Moataz Elgammal of Goal, the club have already generated €105m from player sales this summer and therefore feel no financial pressure to cash in on Camara, who is under contract until 2029. That long-term deal strengthens Monaco’s negotiating position and allows them to wait for a bid that matches their €60m asking price.
Monaco manager Filipe Luis has been unequivocal about his desire to retain the midfielder. Speaking after the 3-2 win over Liverpool, Luis said: “We discuss the squad every day, the transfer market, what is happening and the offers that arrive. We want to build a really competitive team. I am very selfish and I want to keep all the players. I do not want anyone to leave.” He added: “I hope we can keep him. He is probably one of the best midfielders in the world… He is really important to me. He is very gifted with the ball at his feet, he covers a lot of ground. He is an exceptional player. I am really satisfied with him.” In comments cited by Tribal Football, Luis reiterated: “Yes, of course I have hope. I have every hope that he stays. I think he is happy at Monaco. If he stays, he can work even harder. Because he will play, as I said, a key role in my system.”
How does Crystal Palace fit into the picture?
Crystal Palace have emerged as the first club to submit a concrete offer for Camara, according to Foot Mercato and multiple UK outlets. As reported by the BBC, Palace’s verbal bid was reportedly worth more than £35m, which would have made Camara one of the most expensive signings in the club’s history. French sources place the figure higher, at €50m, but even that has been rejected as Monaco seek €60m.
Palace are in a period of transition under new manager Pierre Sage, who replaced Oliver Glasner during the summer. The Eagles have already made four signings, including striker Evann Guessand on loan from Aston Villa, winger Dwight McNeil from Everton in a swap deal involving Brennan Johnson, and former Arsenal defender Takehiro Tomiyasu on a free transfer, following the arrival of Oscar Mingueza from Celta Vigo. With their final pre-season friendly against Freiburg completed, Palace are preparing to open their Premier League campaign away at Everton on Saturday, 22 August. Adding a midfielder of Camara’s profile would address a clear area of need, but the club must now decide whether to increase their offer to meet Monaco’s valuation or walk away.
What are Liverpool and Manchester United doing?
Liverpool and Manchester United have both been credited with long-term interest in Camara, though neither has submitted a formal bid at this stage, according to Foot Mercato and Yahoo Sports. Liverpool’s monitoring has been particularly visible, with the Reds’ pre-season friendly against Monaco offering a practical audition for the player. As noted by Empire of the Kop, French outlet Foot Mercato reported that Liverpool “remain in the hunt” while Palace and Forest have been more active in advancing talks.
Manchester United’s interest has been reported more intermittently, with Goal and other outlets listing them among the clubs keeping close tabs on the situation. For both clubs, the decision may hinge on their own midfield needs, the outcome of any outgoing transfers, and whether Monaco show any flexibility on price as the window progresses.
What is the latest on the transfer fee and timeline?
The latest reporting indicates Monaco’s firm valuation is €60m, with Palace’s €50m offer rejected and no indication yet of a revised bid. The BBC’s figure of more than £35m suggests there may be differing interpretations of the structure or add-ons in Palace’s approach, but all sources agree the bid was turned down. With Camara contracted until 2029 and Monaco financially comfortable after other sales, the French club are prepared to wait.
The timeline now depends on whether Palace return with a higher offer, whether Liverpool or United decide to enter negotiations, and whether Camara’s representatives push for a move to the Premier League. Foot Mercato has reported that Camara’s camp are “meticulously examining all the options on the table” with the intention of choosing the “best sporting project”.
Background: how did this development arise?
Interest in Lamine Camara built over the summer as Monaco’s midfield attracted attention following strong performances in Ligue 1 and European competition. Foot Mercato first highlighted Premier League interest, with Liverpool and Chelsea initially leading the race before Crystal Palace submitted the first concrete offer. Monaco’s 3-2 pre-season win at Anfield provided a high-profile showcase, with Camara’s display against a likely Liverpool midfield duo of Dominik Szoboszlai and Ryan Gravenberch reinforcing the view that he could elevate a Premier League side. At the same time, Monaco’s public stance, articulated by manager Filipe Luis, has been to retain key players unless a substantial fee is met, setting the stage for a protracted negotiation.
Prediction: how could this affect Liverpool, Crystal Palace and other interested clubs?
If Monaco hold firm at €60m, Crystal Palace face a strategic choice: pay a club-record fee to secure a long-term midfield anchor, or redirect funds elsewhere. For Liverpool, the situation creates an opportunity to hijack the deal if they judge Camara to be a superior fit to other targets, particularly if Curtis Jones departs or if they seek additional depth. Manchester United and Nottingham Forest could also be drawn in if the price softens or if competing clubs withdraw. Ultimately, the development sharpens the midfield market for Premier League clubs, with Camara’s availability contingent on one suitor meeting Monaco’s valuation or a late-window compromise.
