Key Points
- Train delays at Freshfield affected Merseyrail services along the Southport line following reports of an individual who was allegedly struck by a train in the vicinity of the Freshfield station.
- As per the Liverpool Echo newspaper, the trains were suspended between Hillside and Hall Road and were experiencing cancellations.
- According to Formby Bubble, the accident occurred near Fisherman’s Path close to Freshfield Railway Station and had taken place around 10.40 am.
- The Merseyrail initially suspended the trains from Southport and Hall Road claiming disruptions due to reports of an individual who had been struck by a train.
- Railway buses had been requested from Hall Road to Southport but were yet to operate.
- Some of the other travel alternatives included Northern trains traveling from Southport and Liverpool via Wigan, Arriva buses and the Stagecoach X2 service.
- However, according to the latest update, the trains were operating between Southport and Liverpool Central, however, delays, cancellations and alterations may persist until the timetable is normalized.
Southport (Liverpool standard) August 22, 2026 — Freshfield train delays affected journeys on the uk/local/southport/">Southport line after reports that a person had been hit by a train near Freshfield station.
- Key Points
- Which Merseyrail services were suspended?
- What alternative travel was available?
- When did the Southport line reopen?
- What is known about the emergency response?
- Why were passengers advised to check before travelling?
- Background: What is the Southport line and why does Freshfield matter?
- Prediction: How could Freshfield train delays affect passengers?
Liverpool Echo reported that Merseyrail services between Hillside and Hall Road were suspended, resulting in disruption and cancellations for passengers using the Southport line. The report identified the incident as being near Freshfield station, on the route serving stations between Liverpool and Southport.
As reported by Formby Bubble, the incident was understood to have occurred close to Fisherman’s Path near Freshfield Railway Station at around 10.40am. The publication said there was a significant emergency-services presence in the area while the response was under way.
The person involved has not been publicly identified in the available reports. No official details about their condition or the circumstances of the incident were included in the information available at the time of publication.
The reports did not establish the cause of the incident. Any investigation or formal update by the emergency services, British Transport Police, Network Rail or the train operator had not been detailed in the available coverage.
Which Merseyrail services were suspended?
Merseyrail suspended services between Southport and Hall Road while emergency services dealt with the incident, according to Formby Bubble’s report. The suspension covered a substantial section of the Southport line and affected passengers travelling to and from Freshfield, Formby and other stations on the northern part of the route.
In a statement quoted by Formby Bubble, Merseyrail said: “Services on the Southport line are disrupted, due to reports of a person being hit by a train at Freshfield. Services are suspended between Southport and Hall Road.”
Liverpool Echo separately reported that trains between Hillside and Hall Road had been suspended, with disruption and cancellations on the Merseyrail route.
The different service boundaries reported reflect updates during an evolving disruption. Passengers were therefore advised through the available reports to check the latest position before travelling, as train services and replacement arrangements can change as a railway line is reopened and the normal timetable is restored.
What alternative travel was available?
Rail replacement buses were requested to run in both directions between Hall Road and Southport, Formby Bubble reported. However, the publication said the buses were not yet operating at the time of its initial update.
The report also set out alternatives available to affected passengers:
- Northern services between Southport and Liverpool via Wigan could be used.
- Merseyrail tickets were being accepted on Arriva bus services.
- Tickets were also being accepted on the Stagecoach X2 service.
- The alternative bus and rail acceptance arrangements were reported to be available without an additional charge.
These arrangements were intended to help people continue journeys while the affected section of the Southport line remained suspended. They did not mean that services were operating normally, and journey times could have been longer than usual because passengers needed to use different routes or modes of transport.
People travelling for work, appointments, education, healthcare, leisure or connections at Liverpool Central and Southport were among those likely to face altered plans during the disruption.
When did the Southport line reopen?
A later service update published by Formby Bubble said trains were running between Southport and Liverpool Central again. It added that some trains could still be delayed, altered or cancelled while the timetable was brought back to normal.
The return of trains between Southport and Liverpool Central indicated that the full initial suspension had been lifted. However, the update did not mean that every service immediately resumed to its usual timetable.
Following a disruption, train operators may need time to reposition trains and staff, regulate services and deal with delayed journeys. Passengers using the route after the reopening could therefore still have experienced cancellations, amended stopping patterns or later-than-scheduled departures.
Merseyrail passengers were advised by the circumstances of the incident to consult live service information before travelling rather than relying only on the normal timetable.
What is known about the emergency response?
Formby Bubble reported a significant emergency-services presence near Fisherman’s Path, close to Freshfield Railway Station. The publication described the incident as ongoing at the time of its initial report.
The report did not name the emergency bodies at the location, confirm the number of responders or provide further verified details about the response. It also did not report a formal statement from police, ambulance services or railway investigators.
Liverpool Echo’s report focused on the resulting travel disruption, saying Merseyrail services between Hillside and Hall Road had been suspended after a person was hit by a train.
Reporting on incidents involving people on railway lines requires care. The available coverage confirms the disruption and the reported incident, but it does not provide evidence to establish why it happened. Further information should only be treated as confirmed if released by the relevant authorities or the rail operator.
Why were passengers advised to check before travelling?
Passengers were advised to check services because the operational position changed during the day. The initial suspension between Southport and Hall Road was followed by an update that trains were again running between Southport and Liverpool Central, although disruption could continue.
This means someone planning a journey at different points during the incident may have received different travel advice. A passenger travelling early in the disruption may have needed to use an alternative route via Wigan or a bus service, while a later passenger may have been able to use a train but still faced delays or a changed service.
Liverpool Echo’s report of suspensions between Hillside and Hall Road, together with Formby Bubble’s updates on the wider Southport-to-Hall Road suspension and later resumption, underlines why live updates were important for travellers.
Background: What is the Southport line and why does Freshfield matter?
The Southport line is part of the Merseyrail network linking Liverpool Central with Southport. Freshfield station is located on the northern part of the route, close to Formby, and the line is used by commuters, students, visitors and local residents travelling between the Sefton coast and Liverpool city centre.
When services are suspended around Freshfield, the effect can extend beyond the immediate location because trains may be unable to run through the affected section. This can lead to short-notice cancellations, trains starting or finishing at different stations, and pressure on alternative rail and bus routes.
In this case, reports indicated that passengers could use Northern services via Wigan and designated Arriva and Stagecoach bus routes while the Merseyrail line was disrupted.
Prediction: How could Freshfield train delays affect passengers?
For Southport line passengers, the immediate effect is likely to be uncertainty over departure times, connections and journey routes until the timetable fully stabilises. Even after trains resume, some commuters and other travellers may encounter delayed services, cancellations or revised stopping arrangements.
People travelling between Southport, Freshfield, Formby, Hall Road and Liverpool Central may need extra time for journeys and should check the latest Merseyrail updates before leaving. Those who rely on connections to work, school, appointments or onward services may be particularly affected if disruption continues.
The available updates indicate that services had resumed between Southport and Liverpool Central, but continued alterations remained possible while the normal timetable was restored.
